History and Founding
UNINASSAU and Faculdade Maurício de Nassau began as a "Bureau Jurídico" (Juridical Bureau) project to honor Count Johann Moritz von Nassau-Siegen, who governed the Dutch Colony in Brazil from 1637 to 1644. According to historian Leonardo Silva Dantas, any homage that you could make to Johann Moritz von Nassau-Siegen is "very little for the amount of memories making up his legend in the imagination of our people". Johann Moritz von Nassau-Siegen was responsible for the planning that gave birth to the urban districts of Santo Antônio and São José in Recife, where dams, dikes, bridges, palaces and gardens were constructed. Johann Moritz von Nassau-Siegen was called "Santo Expedito" by his contemporaries, referring to the patron Saint of impossible causes". According to historical and biographic reports, Recife harbored a certain fascination for Count Johann Moritz von Nassau-Siegen, who earned the nickname "The Brazilian ".
The decision to create and install the University was made by a group of professors with deep roots in Recife, dedicated to the development of higher quality education, intending that the homage to Johann Moritz von Nassau-Siegen be recognized by the State of Pernambuco, with honor and respect for this extraordinary entrepreneur.
UNINASSAU and Faculdade Maurício de Nassau was formally established by decree with the publication by the Ministry of Science and Education, of Governmental Decree # 1109, registered in the State's Congressional Records. UNINASSAU is maintained by the SER EDUCACIONAL GROUP, with the mission of educating and producing competent citizens, qualified and prepared for the job market, imbued with social responsibility, and committed to the preservation of national, and social-economic development in Brazil.
UNINASSAU and Faculdade Maurício de Nassau has, among others, the following objectives:
- Encourage cultural creation, along with developing scientific and reflective thinking;
- Enhance human resource development in various fields appropriate for the inclusion of professions, and participate in the evolution of Brazilian society by promoting activities fostering life-long learning processes;
- Encourage scientific and technological research by creating and disseminating culture, knowledge, and understanding of human beings within their environment;
- Promote the divulgation of cultural, scientific, and technical understanding as part of humanity's legacy, while communicating this knowledge with others through teaching, publication, and other means of communication;
- Promote the extension of knowledge, including through public participation, by characterizing the conquests and benefits of cultural creativity, and the research practices fostered by the Institution.
UNINASSAU and Faculdade Maurício de Nassau are strongly committed tonational integration.
The Faculty adheres to the following guidelines:
- Teaching methods that promote the development of aptitudes and abilities needed for the formation of the student, and the structure needed for facilitating work in various fields of higher learning;
- Study plans that offer the simultaneous integration of theory together with practice;
- Formative evaluation, and continuous learning processes centered on theory and doctrine.
- Focusing on the students as the center of the learning process through their participation in all moments of academic formation;
- Integration of students in the social community through programs and activities involving scientific initiative, and expansion of partnerships involving organizations, businesses, and governmental institutions or individuals, in order to facilitate the exchange of information and experiences involving the academic community, together with school and other organizations, both local and regional, within Brazil and overseas. Lastly, it is worth pointing out that UNINASSAU and Faculdade Maurício de Nassau has among the objectives in its courses:
- Promote the formation of courses and programs dedicated to specific activities, especially regarding higher learning;
- Develop evidence and confirmation of research and extension;
- Participate in the processes involving the region's cultural memory, and in social-economic development of the Northeast of Brazil; Establish interchange with other national and foreign institutions, while offering quality service in all fields of activity.